Cybersecurity Communications Intern
Support Communications activities related to CCI’s research, workforce development, and innovation programs.
About the role
- Application deadline: March 3, 2023 12:00 PM
- Posted date: February 7, 2023
- Seasonal role: (5/10/23 - 8/11/23)
- Pay: $20.00 per hour
- Location type: On-site
- US work authorization: Required
The Cybersecurity Communications Intern will create multimedia content and support Communications activities related to CCI’s research, workforce development, and innovation programs.
CCI is a highly-connected network that engages 41 higher education institutions, industry, and government, along with non-governmental and economic development organizations.
This internship is best suited for undergraduate students seeking to build basic to intermediate communications and marketing skills in the scope of a cybersecurity-focused professional environment. This internship is structured to allow the intern to learn, hands-on, various aspects of Communications, including:
- Graphic Design
- Photo and video creation and editing
- Web management
- Social Media Management
- Email marketing
- Social Media Analytics and Strategy
- Public relations, working with media, story pitching
This paid internship will help build a strong foundation of key skills applicable to all communications, marketing, or public relations professional positions, in the unique scope of cybersecurity.
- Start Date: May 2023; Exact date determined by student’s availability.
- End Date: August 2023; Exact date determined by student’s availability.
- Location: This is an on-site internship. The intern must be able to commute to the Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington, Va on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Hours: 24 hours per week.
- Ideal candidates are rising sophomores or juniors attending a college/university in the CCI Network
- Able to commute to the Virginia Tech Research Center - Arlington office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Moving stipend and housing are not provided.
- Eagerness to learn new skills and hone into existing ones
- Experience with social media management and content creation
- Experience with writing in AP Style
- Experience with Canva, Adobe Illustrator, or similar graphic design tools
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Preferred fields of study: Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field of study.
- Interest in cybersecurity
About The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative
The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative is establishing Virginia as a global center of excellence at the intersection of security, autonomous systems, and data. With a mission of research, innovation, and workforce development, CCI serves as a catalyst for the Commonwealth's long-term leadership in this sector.