Seminar – SolarWinds: Hacked
CCI Seminar - SolarWinds: Hacked
The SolarWinds cyberattack, affecting U.S. government agencies and technology companies, is one of the largest cybersecurity breaches in recent history. SolarWinds produces network management software that is widely adopted, and hackers are believed to have exploited weaknesses in SolarWinds’ system-to-system (supply chain) updates that commonly exist between many internet-connected ecosystems. This is sometimes described as a software supply chain attack. What has been the impact of the attack, and what can be done to prevent or mitigate such attacks, or at least detect them earlier?
During this seminar, you'll learn about the hack's impact and research aimed at preventing and mitigating similar cyber-attacks.
- Welcome – Dan Sui, Virginia Tech Vice President of Research and Innovation
- Overview of agenda and speaker introduction – Luiz DaSilva, CCI Executive Director
- SolarWinds Security Breach Explained and Q&A – Abdul Rahman, CCI AI Testbed Director
- Research Showcase [40 min] – moderated panel with CCI researchers, showcasing CCI-funded research of direct relevance to the SolarWinds hack
- Laura Freeman, Virginia Tech (moderator)
- Hongyi Wu, Old Dominion University
- Jack Davidson, University of Virginia
- Wenjing Lou, Virginia Tech
- Jim Jones, George Mason University
- Wrap-up – Luiz DaSilva, CCI Executive Director
Register here. If you have problems with registration, please contact Susie Kuliasha at email@example.com.
About CCI Events
With a mission of research, innovation, and workforce development, the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) focuses on the intersection of security, autonomous systems, and data. Funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia, CCI is a highly connected statewide network that engages institutions of higher education, industry, government, and nongovernmental and economic development organizations. CCI’s network includes 39 higher education institutions and 320 faculty members as well as more than 20 industry partners. CCI was established in the 2018-20 Virginia budget with an investment of approximately $20 million annually from 2020 and beyond. Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.